Project Weight Loss: Week 3

October 12th, 2012 | Posted by Alison Spath in Weight Loss

Project Weight Loss rolls on!  Today marks the end of Week 3.

If you recall, last week I hooted and hollered when I saw I was down to 144.8 from 146.0 the week before.

This week instead of shouting “Hooray!” I said “Really?!” because when the scale said 143.8 this morning, I had a hard time believing it.

All week I hung out at 145 and even saw 146 flashing back at me one day despite staying within my weight loss calorie allowance just about every day of the week. I was especially bummed to see 146 and threw myself a Poor Me Pity Party while I stood on the scale, wondering why am I doing any of this?

This one of the downsides to weighing yourself nearly every day, the day to day weight fluctuations can get you down. I know full well that body weight can fluctuate by a couple of pounds on a daily basis, but 146 still made me want to pout for a minute given I was down to 144.8 last Friday.

(And pout for a minute I did.)

Thus the disbelief this morning to see 143.8, which was quickly followed by a big “WOOT!” Today my faith was restored that what I’m doing is indeed working.

So let’s jump right into food and touch on a few things as we go.

For breakfast this week, I cracked into my first can of pumpkin to make pumpkin overnight oats.

Pumpkin Overnight Oats

Because you know, I’m worried I haven’t been eating enough squash lately.

1/2 c rolled oats, 1/4 c canned pumpkin, 1/3 c yogurt and a 1/3 c milk. Cinnamon and nutmeg stirred in before popping it into the fridge for the night, topped in the morning with 1/2 a banana, my standard scoop of almond butter and a tablespoon or so of ground flax seed.

This was a very filling (and very delicious!) breakfast. 480 calories, Wham Bam Thank You Ma’am.

Dinner this week (and leftovers for lunch too) featured big salads with bowls of my standard vegetarian chili, sometimes topped with 1/3 of a diced avocado, other times with a little shredded cheese.

Big Salad Little Chili

This particular salad and chili bowl clocked in at about 580 calories. Eating salad second helped me resist the urge to go back for a second helping of chili. I’m still surprised by the way that little trick works.

Honey crisp apples with a small glass of kefir have been the Official Snack of Week 3. Not on purpose really, mostly because honey crisp apples are. so. dang. good.

Honeycrisp Apple and Blueberry Kefir

With kefir because it packs a big protein punch.

When I initially lost weight in 2008, one of the good habits I created for myself was being sure I ate before I left the house, or packed a healthy snack to take along with me, to make it easier to resist the urge to stop and buy some unplanned, impulse food item while we were out. Kefir is one of my favorite “something quick” foods to eat because it’s fast and high in protein (11 g per serving, 140 calories) it’s a great healthy choice when you’re short on time.

Dark chocolate was consumed just about every day this week too, Green and Black 85% in particular because it’s been on sale at Wegmans.

Green and Black 85% Dark Choclate

Extra dark chocolate is definitely an acquired taste, I really enjoy it now but it took a while to get there. I worked up to it by alternating through plenty of 70% and 85% bars. It’s a tough job but somebody’s got to do it.

The darker the better of course, for the flavonoids, anti-oxidents and all that other good junk. Extra dark chocolate is so rich and satisfying, eating too much of it makes me feel BLAH. This is the nice little safety device that is dark chocolate: it’s hard to over do it.

And finally, a quick run down of the week, day by day:

Friday, 10/5
Weight: 144.8
Net Calories: 1580
Exercise: Run, 35 min, 3.5 miles

Saturday, 10/6
Weight: 144.8
Net Calories: 2191 (especially hungry today!)
Exercise: Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30, Week 1

Thursday, 10/11
Weight: 145.4
Net Calories: 1683
Exercise: Rest

Friday, 10/12
Weight: 143.8

So there’s Week 3 in a nutshell. How often do you weigh yourself? Does it bum you out to see the scale go up a couple of pounds when you’re actively working to lose weight or do you take in stride? What’s your current favorite snack or “running out the door” food?

Please know that links to Amazon are affiliate links. It doesn’t change the price you pay, but if you buy something from Amazon after following one of the links in my posts, I earn a percentage based commission from Amazon as a part of their affiliate program. This is one of the ways I generate revenue from the posts that I write here. I promise that I only link to items that I truly endorse. You don’t ever have to buy anything, but if you do, thank you for supporting the site and the work I do here.

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 You can leave a response, or trackback.

12 Responses

• Devann says:

Your oatmeal looks fantastic. I will be doing this for sure!!!
    I weigh myself daily too and hate seeing it go up and down. Sure does make the downs sweet though!
    Great job again!

• Devann says:

Can u explain the procedure for your oats please?

• You’re right, it does make it that much sweeter when the numbers finally go down!

For pumpkin overnight oats, I combine 1/2 c oats, 1/3 c vanilla yogurt, 1/3 c 1% milk, 1/4 c pumpkin and spices right before bed. The oats soak up the liquid ingredients and soften over night. Top with whatever you like in the morning!

They are soft after an hour or so if you did this in the morning, I like to make them at night though so breakfast is all ready to go the following day!

• Jennifer says:

First of all, congratulations!!! :) As frustrating as it can be at times, whatever you are doing is working. The slower the better, too. Keep it up!

YES, I get so bummed out when I get on the scale after working out every day and it hasn’t budged or has even gone up 1/2 lb. Very frustrating.

With that being said, I’ve decided to workout every other week and it seems to work for me as least right now. :) Since my weight doesn’t move on my workout week, I figure I’d workout a week for the health benefits of staying active and then take a week off for weight loss. That keeps my body guessing, too, as to what is going to happen each day. So far, so good. I’m still not counting calories yet either because I’m happy with the weight I’m losing and I’m really eating what I want.

I weigh myself twice a day, in the morning and at night. Not to see so much if I’ve lost weight because I know that is not accurate AT all, but it keeps me mentally in check. I know that if my weight is not where it should be in the morning, I need to reign things in a little that day. I can pretty much tell what my weight will be the next morning too, by my bedtime weight.

What I am doing, though, is making sure I don’t ever feel starving hungry. I think that’s the key for me. By constantly munching on something, my system stays active. I’ll usually grab a handful of pretzels or something if I know I’ll be away for a while. I don’t usually take fruit with me because I always feel hungry soon after eating it.

I’m sure my weight would drop faster if I kept my calories under a certain number each day and did not splurge on the weekends, but if what I’m doing right now is working for me by a slow weight loss, I’m happy with that. :) I’m in no hurry. The goal I set for myself is 1/2 lb a week and so far in the 8 weeks I’ve been trying, I’m ahead of where I should be. :)

• Keeping a close eye on the scale keeps me on track too, it helps me adjust accordingly before I get too far off course.

Calorie counting always feels like a “last resort” to me, but it works so I do it… but if you are losing weight without out it, that’s perfect. What you’re doing is obviously working, keep on keepin’ on!

• Jolene webb says:

uuugggghhhhh I feel your pain! I hate seeing that stupid number go up when I am making a conscience effort but it sure is sweet when it goes down. I weigh myself everyday also:) It helps to keep me in check. I have noticed tho that if I drink tons of water on the day the number goes up it helps to flush out my system of any sodium or anything that my body is holding onto. Usually the next day it is back on track.

My favorite snack to take is an apple. Especially this time of year. I just was one, throw it in my purse with a paper towel wrapped around it and I am good to go. :)

• I have SO been there with the weight fluctuations on the scale. When I’m really trying to lose weight, I find I need to weigh myself everyday or I don’t really stay focused. Those times when I go weeks without stepping on the scale I end up doing the most damage. You’re doing great!

• Julia says:

I love my scale when I somehow magically lose 3 pounds in a day. That’s gotta be my favorite. But once it told me I gained 10 pounds in 3 days. So obnoxious. I try not to weigh myself too often because of weird fluctuations like that- it’s so easy to get bummed out by the scale, and every time I get discouraged it makes it harder for me to stay on track.
    I love eating pistachio nuts- so salty and crunchy and delicious :) Or a banana with peanut butter. Mmm.

• It varies, but usually I weigh myself nearly every day. It’s just habit I guess, but I like to see if I’m staying on track or if I need to ay more attention to how much I’m eating.

• B. Gomicchio says:

Have you tried MU MU MUESLI? It’s my go to breakfast. I figured out last year that if I mix it in the morning and stick it in the microwave on defrost for 30 seconds, it’s the perfect temp, etc., especially with frozen blueberries in it :)

• Fantastic beat ! I wish to apprentice at the same time as
    you amend your site, how can i subscribe
    for a weblog web site? The account aided me a applicable deal.
    I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided vivid clear idea

Feel free to visit my web-site … fast weight loss plans