Fruit Flies Don’t Bother Me

May 31st, 2009 | Posted by Alison in Short or Sweet

If you’re looking to catch fruit flies and don’t want to practice nabbing them with chopsticks, you can use this easy combo of ingredients to rid yourself of a fruit fly invasion.

All you need is a little dish, some apple cider vinegar and dish soap to make your own fruit fly trap.

ff_1

Pour apple cider into dish and stir in a squirt or two of dish soap. Set dish in an out of the way place somewhere near the fruit flies.

ff_3

Walk away whistling and pretend that you aren’t watching.  A couple of hours or overnight, those suckers can’t resist.

ff_5

Isn’t there a saying “you catch more fruit flies with apple cider vinegar than chopsticks”?  Well there should be.

Please know that links to Amazon are affiliate links. It doesn’t change the price you pay, but if you buy something from Amazon after following one of the links in my posts, I earn a percentage based commission from Amazon as a part of their affiliate program. This is one of the ways I generate revenue from the posts that I write here. I promise that I only link to items that I truly endorse. You don’t ever have to buy anything, but if you do, thank you for supporting the site and the work I do here.

You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 You can leave a response, or trackback.

11 Responses

• Robin says:

Thanks for the tip. I hate those things, I am always putting plants outside because I am afraid of getting fruit flies.

I really want to try making the pudding, yum, I wish I had some to eat tonight.

• Jane/you-know-who says:

Thanks for the tip. Insects & spiders may *live* outside, but inside the house, well that is another story.

• Leah says:

first off, your idea for fruit flies is awesome! i had so many attacking my fruit in my dorm last semester, i wish i had known about this! also, what recipe did you use for your tofu pudding? i make one with silken tofu as well, and once i refridgerate it, it gets superrr firm, almost like a ganache

• Jennifer says:

That is so cool!!! Not that you have fruit flies (haha) but how you get rid of them. I never knew that.

Do you usually leave your fruit and veggies out or do you refrigerate some?

• Alison says:

Leah, I used this recipe from Mothering. I’m interested to hear that you’ve made it and it turned out right, because that leads me to believe I probably used too much silken tofu. The recipe called for 8oz and I probably used a little more than that, because I wanted to finish up the container and not leave just a little bit left in the container. Is your recipe similar to the one I used?

Jennifer, I leave apples, bananas, citrus and tomatoes on the counter. (Maybe a few others, but that’s all I can think of off the top of my head). Just about everything else goes in the fridge.

• Leah says:

my recipe is actually embarassingly simple…i use mori-nu tofu and stick the whole chunk in the food processor, blend it until its smooth, and then add cocoa powder, sometimes chocolate protein powder, and some stevia if i feel it needs it…sometimes if im feeling extra indulgent i will add melted chocolate, then i stick it in the fridge and it hardens in about an hour

• Jane/you-know-who says:

Tonight I saw a fruit fly hovering above my organic grape tomatoes and I thought *A-HA, I think I remember something about ridding the house of these peskies on Mama’s Weeds*. So I’m applying your technique and hoping for the best (seeing them swimming at the bottom of the cider/dish soap concoction).

• DHT, otherwise known as dihychrotestosterone, is a chemical that prevents the hair follicle from regrowing hair.
    However, genetics and male sex hormones do not fully explain the exact mechanism that
    will cause hair loss to start. While you’re trying to restore your tresses, try to
    avoid them.

My web-site: Laser Hair Restoration Cost

• Alison says:

Robin, the pudding was ok, I liked the taste but it could have been a little thicker to be called *pudding*. It was perfect for a smoothie. For pudding, I might try to thicken it up next time, maybe by using less silken tofu, using firm tofu or adding a little cornstarch? Like I said, the taste was good, but it needed a little help to be accurately be called pudding! :)

• Alison says:

Good luck! You’ll have to reply with your results in the AM! ;)

• Jane/you-know-who says:

One pesky about 30 min later and this morning only that one still there. Guess there was just a lone scout in the area and I got him! Thanks for the tip.